The call for proposals for the LAK18 Hackathon has now closed. Thanks to everyone who submitted!
You have an opportunity to submit proposals for research questions to be addressed and explored at Hack@LAK18 the yearly hackathon event of the Learning Analytics and Knowledge (LAK) conference.
The purpose of submitting a paper proposal is to describe an open research question relevant to the LAK conference and therefore to Hack@LAK18. We are not looking for finished work. We are not event looking for started work. We are looking for challenges that can be the starting points for tasks to be completed at the Hackathon. Each paper should therefore briefly provide some context for the proposed research question, refer to previous research, explain the objectives that the author wish to be achieved through exploring this question and describe the potential impact on practices, tool support, and research in learning analytics. Examples of possible topics, taken from the expected outcomes of Hack@LAK18 include:
- Personal analytics supporting self-directed learning
- Goal setting and analytics
- Playgrounds for data literacy
- Student facing Open APIs
- Infrastructure-integrated approaches for the joint exploitation of distributed data sources, including synthetic data
- Analytics beyond user-computer interaction data
We are looking for short papers following this template with a length of 2 to 3 pages including references. The paper’s purpose is to set a research question(s) that are relevant for the hackathon, provide context through the referencing of previous research and explaining the targets you wished achieved and the potential impact on open source software, standards, best practices.
We expect the following structure for the short paper:
- Introduction: Setting context and a brief literature review and Research Question(s)
- Impact: Including the targets and potential effect on Learning Analytics practices
Please submit your paper through the easychair by 18 December 2017
- 30 October 2017 – Workshop calls for participation announced
- 18 December 2017 – Workshop papers submission deadline
- 15 January 2018 – Notifications sent out (prior to early-bird registration deadline of 22 January)
- 30 January – Final version of paper due for Companion Proceedings
(All deadline at 23:59 Hawaii time.)